2020年8月6日木曜日

The White Stolen Elephant(long review)

The term 'white elephant' is also used to mean an unwanted gift. Some people think the term comes from Thailand where the white elephant was considered to be sacred. When the King gave someone a gift of a white elephant they had to keep it alive at all costs. Naturally very few people wanted a gift of a white elephant.

 In this story, a white elephant is carried as a gift to the queen. Along the way, the elephant is stolen by someone. To find the thief and the elephant, they use many things, including detectives and newspapers. They spend a lot of money and desperately try to find the elephant, but they can't. Eventually the elephant is found underground, but it is already dead and its body is tattered.I can't give it to him as a gift.It's a very sad story. In the first place, I am against giving animals as gifts.Life is not a gift.

And my friend said ''White elephant means a thing that is useless and no longer needed, although it have may cost a lot of money. I was wondering about why the chief or the detectives won praise. Because the white elephant was dead and it found at basement of detectives. Did they find and hide the white elephant and also kill it?  I searched a lot about this book and read some interpretation, but I couldn't understand this story well. However, I was happy alittle because I could know white elephant means. If I didn't read this book, I couldn't that meaning ever after. ''.(Misaki.K)

~Literature circle~
I read this book in my first Literature circle, and since this was my first Artistic Adventure, I didn't know what to expect at first. But I'm good at drawing, so I thought I would use that to tell the story in a way that was easy to understand. So after reading the whole story, I drew pictures of the main points of the story and explained them in words. However, I ended up with more words than I expected, and I read the words I had written during the presentation. I didn't think that would convey much to the audience. Also, I thought I needed to think about the content of my presentation to fit the limited time per person. I couldn't give a full presentation this time because there was too much content and I couldn't make it in time. So, at the second round, I thought I would give a better presentation with less text.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿